Suetables

Suetables
www.suetables.com

inspiration . style . places

Musings from a jewelry designer, mom, traveller and art, nature, fashion and design lover...

Friday, May 7, 2010

Perfection mass produced



















Perfection is mass produced: "Don't you have any other fancier fonts?" a client recently asked me as I was about to stamp her kids names on a pendant. "Can you make the letters perfectly lined up on that pendant?" another client asked me at show. I get great joy in pleasing clients. I wanted to say yes on both counts but, the truth is, I love hand-stamping's hand-made/uneven quality. It is done, by hand, one letter and number at a time. It looks easy...it is not (ask all those who have insisted they can do it too. Just look at the pile of ruined silver accumulated over five years). I love the old fashioned typewriter look. I love that it's old but timeless. I love it's imperfection. Perfection, to me, is mass produced. It would be easier to get an engraving machine (yes, I admit that I have looked into it) and be done with the discussion. But, hand stamping each piece, with all it's imperfections, reminds us that some things were meant to be simple, unique and not mass produced. Personalized jewelry is meant to be just that -- personal, hand made with the words WE select.

What I really want to say is, "No, I don't have fancy fonts...no, the letters cannot be perfectly lined up. I suggest you go see a professional engraver -- you will find endless mass produced looks and fonts exactly like everyone else has."

2 comments:

  1. I don't think your work is imperfection, Sue, it's beautiful. And perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lizzie. But, the cystal ball named after you, is perfect. Sue

    ReplyDelete